Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Appliques...

As school is nearing, I start thinking of the dreaded school clothes shopping. 
I decided to do a how to on appliques to help with the expense of school shopping. I love to applique.....alot! With my kids growing so fast its hard to stay on a budget and by them new clothes every time they grow! This summer I decided I would make most of Lucy's summer clothes. It involved some shorts, a few skirts and a few tops. Clothes seem to have gotten so expensive so that's why I turn to to the applique. Let me explain!

 

Remember the fabric from this skirt...
Well, I went to Old Navy and got some plain "old" (Ha Ha) T-shirts for $2.40 each.
One looked like this....


Then since the material had apples on it I found a coloring page of a apple I liked and cut it out.


I separated it into 3 pieces.


Got my handy Heat n bond or Wonder Under either works.
And traced it on.


I then cut my pieces smaller and ironed them onto the WRONG side of my fabric.


And cut them out.


Then I put them exactly where I wanted them on the shirt. And ironed them on. Remember no steam with your iron on this.


Last of all I stitched it all on using coordinating thread. I went in about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. Remember to back stitch. This will just help it stay on and then you never have to worry about it in the wash! ;) And.....


Ta-Dah! All done! Here is a few other appliques I have done....

 





Good Luck!


Until next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment