Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tips and tidbits to help you out Part 2

Today I am going to share a simple tip about gathering a really full skirt, or dress!!
There are many different styles of skirts, but a few weeks ago I wanted to make Lucy a REALLY  FULL "princess" dress. (Pictured last in the previous post.)

I used my favorite bodice pattern, then I took 3 widths of my fabric, cut to length and sewed them together. That's like 135" (give or take an inch or two) to go around my little girls 26" waist. The problem with that is getting it to all lay nicely and evenly.
The answer...
 
...it's so simple...
 
 
...doing 2 gathering stitches instead of one.
I like to do my seams 1/2"or 4/8", so I did my gathering stitches at 3/8" and 5/8".
 
 
Then I started pulling my threads until I got to my desired width.

 
It was simple and made it gather very evenly.

 
When I went to sew it to the bodice at 4/8", it was right between the 2 lines of stitches, so it stayed in place nicely with out the curling and catching the gather like with just one stitch.
Although I did have to pull out the one gathering stitch that was below the seam, but it wasn't hard, and didn't take long, so it was worth it. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
 
 
Until next time....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment