Friday, September 21, 2012

BYU Blanket, A skirt, and a Winner

This past week we celebrated my husband Bryan and my daughter Lucy’s birthdays! It’s always a crazy week but fun at the same time!!
 
Bryan didn’t want much for his birthday, but he has wanted a BYU T-shirt blanket ever since my sister-in-law made one for my brother last Christmas. So I figured it was high time he go one too!
I found some great BYU material at Wal-Mart, then cut up 6 of his old (and some holey) BYU shirts he has been collecting ever since he did his undergrad there.
 
Funny Story: My kids kept asking me if Dad knew I was cutting up his shirts, “cause that seems like a naughty thing to do!” in the words of Sawyer, my 6 yr. old! LOL!

I just used the front logo parts of the shirt, backed the t-shirt part with a less stretchy material, just for my sanity!! Then I sewed it all together, and backed it with fleece, and...Ta-Dah!! This is the best picture I could get with out children climbing on it!!

 
 
 
 He is pretty happy with it and has already taken a few naps! ;)

But it bothered me…what to do with the back of the shirt and the sleeves…..

Well, let me tell you. I was looking at a few tutorials and found this one HERE at Lil Blue Boo and thought it to be perfect!! And it was. Here’s how my version turned out…
 
 
The skirt was super easy and turned out great! I used the bottom of both gray shirts to make the skirt part and cut up the blue and white shirts for the ruffles and the yoke. It did end up being a bit heavier than I would have liked, but hey...it's a free skirt!! The T-Shirts were heading to the trash anyways!  And Lucy absolutely adores it!!


Next order of business.....the winner of the ruffle skirt is
 
 
CAMMIE
She said, "I love stepping on crunchy leaves! I like Corina's comment about sweatshirts. And I might need the recipe for Danielle's white lightning chilli...Sounds tasty!"

Congrats! I'll e-mail you and get your measurement's, and fabric choices. Until then, head on over to rufflefabric.com and start looking!!

Until next time…

2 comments:

  1. That is the most adorable skirt! Thanks for the tutorial link... I freakin LOVE it!!!! I love that you did BYU too... it makes it even more cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete