Friday, September 14, 2012

Birthday Dresses

When I first had Lucy I hadn't really gotten into sewing a ton! I made little jeans for my boys and Halloween costumes, etc. But I was never very confident. Shortly after moving back to Utah in 2009, both my sister in laws were due in July and I had 2 cousins due that summer as well. I could sew straight lines, mostly, so I decided to give blankets a try. I had never done them before, but as I went along I became more confident and quicker!!
 
 
 




 
I also realized I LOVED TO SEW!! I found it relaxing and kind of a creative outlet. Who knew I was creative?! Not me!!
Shortly after finishing Boston's Blanket we bought a house and moved in. And I got to have my sewing machine up and accessible 24/7!! YEAH! So I decided to make Lucy a birthday dress. It was fun to make and I decided to make one every year! I let her choose the fabric, but I get to decide the style! An agreement which I am sure will change as she gets older!! ;)
 
 
First Birthday
 
 
Just before her second birthday Bryan's little sister, Ashley, got married and so it got to play double roll for the wedding and her birthday!!

 
Just had to throw in this cute picture!!

 
Third Birthday!

 
And this years!! BIG 4 Years OLD!!
 
She loves it. Although when we went to pick out fabric she was sure she would get a purple dress. But soon after seeing this material her mind was set!!
 
 
I decided to do pleats for the skirt, but I had only ever tried them once, on this....

 
I just started pleating and added a yoke and zipper. Nothing fancy. But I was frustrated because I wanted it to stay pleated with out having to iron it all the time!! I'm just lazy! So when I was explaining what I wanted to do to my Mom, she suggested sewing the edge of the pleats so they stay pleated!! GENIUS!!

 
On each pleat I sewed (is that a word?) a 1/8 in to make it stay! And it worked beautifully! I have even washed it and the pleats look great! I don't have to iron it!! YEAH!

 
Best of all, I have a very Happy Birthday Girl!!
 
Oh and don't forget to enter the skirt giveaway! It can be for anysize, baby to momma!!
Here's the details: 
1- "Like" Sensible Stitches on Facebook
2- "Share" this giveaway on Facebook
3- Come back here (the giveaway page) and leave a comment on what your favorite fall staple is, whether it be pumpkin bread, or a favorite jacket. Let me know!!
Make sure to leave your email address so I can contact the winner!! The winner will be announced on Sept. 21, 2012.
 
Until next time.....

4 comments:

  1. One of my fall staples is sweatshirts!!
    buffycox@gmail.com
    Bethany Cox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope that I win the skirt!!! Your stuff is so cute I love that you can make it for BIG girls and not just little ones!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I forgot to tell you my fall staple I would say BOOTS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how much she looks like you when you were little...

    ReplyDelete