Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pillows, Pillows, and more Pillows....

First of all, do they have to call them"throw" pillows, my kids and I "discuss" this every time I catch one of them using it to pummel a unsuspecting sibling. Any who... I have made quite a few pillows lately....Mostly for others, but a few for me!! :) Here is a few of them...




So today, I thought I would show you how to make your own pillow with a zipper.
It's easier than you think!!


First cut your material the same size as your pillow. This one is cut 20x20 for a 20-inch pillow. FYI some pillows are not actually the size they say they are. They are usually 1-inch smaller, so if you cut it the same size as the pillow it should fit nicely!


Put your zipper foot on... 


Sew your zipper right sides together on one of the squares. (Remember you need 2 squares for each pillow.) Do this on just one of them! :)


Round the corners. Don't mind the pins, I was getting ahead of myself in this picture. :)

 

Place the square you just sewed the zipper on too, face down onto the right side of the other square. (Right sides should be together.) At the top fold down the zipper part you just sewed on so that you can see the entire wrong side of the zipper. Are you still with me?


Then line it up with the top of other square. Make sure that the material lines up at each corner. You can pin it if you want too!

Sew around edges and when you get to the zipper sew across it. Like this...


See, I just sewed the curve right over the zipper to the other side. I do recommend back stitching a couple times over the zipper, just to make sure it is secure. :)


Flip material to the right side and done. I know hat is probably confusing, but feel free to ask if you have questions. Happy Pillow making!!


Until next time....

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you sew the piping on after the pillow was done?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No. I just pinned it in the seam, and stitched it up. I used the zipper foot the whole time so I could sew close to the pipping.

    ReplyDelete